Painting with Light 1.2: Patterns Emerge

LP_v02_006
Follows Painting with Light 1.0: Getting Started

Changes

Following my initial attempts, 5mm LEDs have been replaced with a set of 3mm LEDs to provide a little bit of extra resolution. Light pollution has been decreased a bit too by painting the bottom of the LEDs and some of the topmost surfaces of PCBs, stages.

LP_v02_005

Which makes some fun patterns after the break!

Results

LP_v02_001

My first attempt at a triforce failed miserably before I realised I needed to set the stepper speeds individually (so they arrived at the same time). The photo on the left is the same set of triforce coords, prior to adding in this feature change. LP_v02_002

After that, setting up more complex paths is a piece of cake: LP_v02_003 LP_v02_004

Next…

This is so much fun to play around with! I’m going to leave it like this for a while and do a few more patterns before changing anything else. Speaking of which though…

Some limitations are making themselves visible already. The two patterns above are about the limit of what this setup can do. Not only is the resolution still pretty bad (about 15 pixels wide), but it is also the extent of how long it can draw for. That pattern above takes exactly 15 seconds, which is the max exposure length on my camera. Trying to make the steppers travel faster introduces wobbles and also what appear to be lapses in the Arduino’s concentration. Skipped steps and the like. I realised also that due to RAM limitations I won’t be able to program more than 200 coordinates. For straight line drawings that’s fine (especially at current resolution), but will make drawing curves difficult.

Leave a Reply